Attendance and Punctuality
Is Your Child Missing Out?
Focus on Attendance and Punctuality
Research has shown that regular attendance and good punctuality are crucial factors in students achieving their full potential in education. At Ark Blake Academy we wish to work in partnership with parents and carers and so are seeking your full support in ensuring that your child attends Academy every day and on time. We are always pleased to work together with parents/carers in resolving any difficulties, but we are also committed to improving attendance levels at the Academy.
The target attendance figure for all pupils is a minimum of 97% attendance. Based on current attendance figures your child will be placed in one of the following groups below.
Group 1: No Concern - Green Group
The child attends for 97% - 100% of the time.
Group 2: Concern - Yellow Group
The child attends for 95% - 96.9% of the time.
Group 3: Risk of Underachievement
– Amber Group
The child attends for 93% - 94.9% of the time
Group 4: Severe Risk of Underachievement
– Pink Group
The child attends for 90% - 92.9% of the time.
Group 5: Extreme Risk of Underachievement
– Red Group
The child attends for 0% - 89.9% of the time.
Your child will be informed of their Attendance Group by their form tutor. Ark Blake Academy are monitoring students closely whose attendance is falling and will contact you if your child’s attendance does not improve. As a parent/carer you are committing an offence if you fail to ensure that your child attends Academy regularly and punctually, even if they are missing School without your knowledge. It is important that parents/carers monitor single day’s absence, as these days soon add up to weeks.
At Ark Blake Academy we reward pupils who attend Academy each day and whose attendance is improving. Students are also rewarded for good punctuality.
- Celebrated in commendation and rewards Assembly
- Form Tutor Recognition Award
- Celebrated weekly in tutor time
- Vouchers to students with 100% attendance for the half-term (prize-draw)
- House points for each house with the highest attendance each half-term.
- Complimentary snack available for tutor group with highest attendance (weekly)
- End of year educational visits
If you are concerned about this new ‘Focus on Attendance’, there are important steps that you can take:
- Ensure your child attends every day, on time, equipped and ready to learn. The academy is open from 08:00am and all pupils need to be onsite by 08:25am. Students arriving after 08:25am may be marked absent and will require an explanatory note or the absence will remain un-authorised.
- Ensure the Academy has up-to-date addresses and telephone numbers. We will contact you if your child is absent and you have not contacted the Academy. This ensures that the absence is quickly identified.
- If your child is ill, contact the Academy on the first day of absence and provide an explanatory note on their return to the Academy.
- If you wish to check that your child has arrived at the Academy contact the Academy’s Attendance Officer. She/he will inform you if your child has been registered.
- If no contact is received regarding the absence, it is recorded as un-authorised. Ultimately the Academy is responsible for deciding if the absence is acceptable or not. Only genuine absence will be authorised. You will be asked to provide medical certificates if your child has a poor attendance record.
- Ensure that medical appointments are made outside of Academy time.
- Avoid trivial absences such as, ‘buying new shoes’. This would not be accepted as a reasonable absence.
- Holidays should not be taken in Academy time. Any Leave of Absence can only be agreed by the Principal and only agreed where there are exceptional circumstances.
- Respond to letters or telephone calls regarding attendance and punctuality.
- Contact your child’s form tutor if you are experiencing difficulty in getting your child into the Academy.
Thank you for working in partnership with us to achieve the highest possible levels of attendance and punctuality at Ark Blake Academy.